One thing is for sure: Midwestern weather keeps us on our toes! On Monday, you get a sunburn and on Tuesday, you wake up to find a blanket of snow on budding branches. By now, you are probably welcoming the idea of warm weather.
Summer is just around the corner! To make sure you are ready when warm weather arrives, it is important to make your home prepared. Preparing in advance means that you can fully enjoy the summer. Who wants to deal with house issues when Lake Michigan is open to beach goers?
Thankfully, summer prep and doesn’t take much time and can save money in the long run. It allows you to step up your summer and focus on barbecues and beaches!
- Air Conditioner: When anticipating the glorious summer sun, one of the first things on the To-do List is service your air conditioner unit. Consult a trusted general contractor, like Great Lakes Contracting Services. Having a professional inspect and tune up your air conditioner will ensure that it is set to run all summer. Your contractor will will clean out any clogs and make sure that it starts like it should. When you have your unit inspected and tuned annually, it can extend the life of your unit.
- Windows, Screens, and Fans: The summer has sizzling temperatures, but there are also breezy days when you open the windows. Anticipating opening up your home will make the transition from our chilly spring to summer much easier. Check your ceiling fans to see if they work and dust off the cobwebs. Test your windows to make sure they open correctly and that the screens weren’t damaged in the winter. You might discover that your windows need to be resealed. Also, don’t forget to clean your windows and frames, inside and out.
- Yard Clean Up & Organization: If you haven’t already, now is a great time to clean out your gutters, yard, garage, and tool shed. It isn’t hot yet, so outdoor chores are bearable. Lawn mowers and weed whackers should be tuned and cleaned. Your garage and tool shed could use spring cleaning to remove unused clutter. Finally, lug out your patio furniture and prepare for outdoor play!
- Exterior and Roof: Give your outside a thorough check. Unfortunately, your exterior and roof may have been damaged during harsh winter conditions. It is smart to correct these problems before they get worse. Check your skylights, chimney, and attic as well. Look for any breakage, water damage, peeling paint, rodents/pests, mold, rotting wood, and any other issue.
- Be sure to call your contractor: If you discover any issues during your check, contact a local, reputable contractor, like Great Lakes Contracting. We off a wide variety of services to restore your home to its glory. GLCS is dedicated to your specific needs and making sure you are informed throughout the entire process. We are dedicated to get your home safe, restored and summer-ready! Call us today at 219-841-7905 or toll free at 855-403-6900.